Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spring Cleaning & Nightly Wisdom

Well it's been a while, but I'm back! Now, I know it's a bit too early to be thinking about spring but yesterday was so warm and gorgeous outside it might as well have been springtime. So I spent the last few days doing a little mental spring cleaning. Unfortunately I didn't get to do any actual cleaning so... I still have that to do.
There's been a lot on my mind and here are some of the highlights of the conversations I have with myself (in a non-weird way):

1.) I get distracted incredibly easily. I just stare off into space, not particularly thinking about any one thing, but just zone out and forget what I'm doing - usually when I'm doing work, or worse, in class. So I tried to start exercising to see if that would help - which it did a little bit I guess.
I run or bike at the gym for 40 minutes and go to a yoga class once a week. I actually always hated exercising and felt/looked like a noodle for a majority of my life but since trying to exercise more I've felt 100% better - even if I haven't gotten those buff arms and legs yet (not even thinking about abs because that's just not happening anytime soon, let's be realistic). My dad always told me that exercise was good for you physically and mentally but who knew the old man would be right?! ;)

Today was my first back-to-workout day since midterms week and spring break and I started easy by just going to a yoga class. We did some deep meditation today after our session - something we don't usually do. It was only for about 15 minutes, but felt like hours which was enough time for me to daydream and drift and let go of worries I shouldn't be fussing about. And I felt so focused and determined at the end of it!

I used to think meditation was silly because you just sit there in silence and close your eyes, I thought I'd feel a little foolish, but it actually feels great and if that's what it takes to clear my mind and keep me focused then hell yes I'm going to do it more often. The instructor said there was a weekly meditation session on campus so I went to sign up. I know it might seem strange to sign up for a meditation class when I could easily do it in my room but I just don't have the discipline to do it yet. Hopefully these sessions and my continued workout plan will help keep me motivated, disciplined, and more importantly focused!

2.) I don't understand how some people can juggle so many things in their lives. I think I only feel this way because, as stated, I am extremely distracted and waste a lot of good time. But I know people who go to class, have a job, participate in clubs and sports, exercise, study, go out/hang out with friends, have a hobby, maintain a relationship, watch like 5 different tv shows, be caught up on everything and get good grades while still being a functioning person and doing things like eating, sleeping and bathing.
Like how?!? I know there are priorities in life, but damn I applaud you for being an excellent human being if you can stay on top of all of that. A+ and good job for you. Please teach me the secrets of life.

I feel like I'm in a constant state of chaos where I'm involved in a bunch of things and don't know how to organize myself quite yet. It's not that I don't try because the number of calendars, planners, and notes I have is ridiculous. I can be on top of things if I really tried and those days go by in a blur with minimal sleep/food or interaction with society.

But all sarcasm and jokes aside, it just blows my mind when I realize that the adult world is full of jugglers - people who do this and more on a daily basis. I've heard the sayings that college is only a sample of the real world and I had no idea what it meant but I sure do now. I'm going to be a busy bee for the rest of my life so I figured I better get with it and learn to juggle too.

--

Physically I'm 20 and I guess people perceive me as an adult but I feel so much younger. I have a lot to learn in my 20's. All who say that being an adult sucks, reminding kids to cherish their youth and never wish to be an adult, are wrong. Each stage of life is unique and precious on its own. This is a time of trial and error for me, it's like riding a bike without my safety wheels on. I know my parents will continue to guide me and prevent me from failing if they can but it's mostly up to me now. And that's so exciting! The best part about riding a bicycle (for me anyway) is to brag about how you fell and got scars but finally managed to ride on your own.

So that's my quota of wisdom for the evening, hopefully I'll have more intelligent insights to come. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!