Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Happy (late) Thanksgiving!

I'm like a week late but oh well... it still counts. I don't think I've enjoyed or appreciated thanksgiving as much in the past as I did this year. In previous years, it used to be all about stuffing my face and becoming a giant dumpling while wearing nice clothes. It still is, but I loved this thanksgiving significantly more...
It was actually nothing special or extravagant. We invited close friends like usual, since most of my extended family live across the globe, and had an Indian thanksgiving since most of us don't eat meat, which was fine with me because I'm trying to eat as much  Indian food as I can before I go back to college. It was just like our usual dinner parties.

But, I don't know, it was just so nice to spend quality time with my family and my friends - whom I've known since childhood. Nowadays I don't always get to spend this much time with them because I'm in college and when I come home on weekends, it always seems to go by too quickly. I don't get to laze around as much or just sit and listen to my mom play old Indian songs on Youtube. But I really miss arguing with my parents the most.

That probably sounds so weird but my family has a habit of striking up random debates and arguments. We're all fierce fighters - taking up sides and spewing opinions. To anyone else, it would sound like we're constantly at war with each other - but we're not. We just like to talk. My sister and I grew up learning a lot this way - about religion, cultures, science, art, history, anything - and I feel like we understand others and the world better because of it. The discussions force us to keep an open mind and always acknowledge that there's another perspective we would have neglected. If nothing else, I am thankful for that.

I usually don't spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm thankful for. However, after a year apart from my parents, I've seen and know people who live in poverty in India, and I cannot be more thankful of the life I have. And now again, separated in college, I'm so much more grateful for our relationship.

It was a much needed break. There was enough time to get work done, relax, catch up with old friends and eat enough of my mom's food to get me through finals week. I talked to my family in India which I don't get to do when I'm in college - it's almost like I'm recharging my batteries.

And now to get through my finals...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!